Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Richard Carrier Recommends

Amazon has a new program that allows associates to build their own mini-storefronts to promote their favorite books and videos. We get a commission on everything sold there, even stuff you add to the shopping cart from your own wishlist while you're there, or the Amazon automated and listmania recommendations that pop up. I've updated my Support page to explain this and more.

To check out my storefront, and see my top recommen-dations in fiction, movies, philosophy, origins of Chris-tianity, and ancient science, visit Richard Carrier Recommends.
If you find it interesting, it's well worth a bookmark. And if you want to help, spread the news. Although it has fewer features, and the content is limited to my recommendations and what Amazon thinks is related, I find this stripped-down mini-store cleaner and less noisy than the usual Amazon interface.

I also get a commission on anything bought through a link on this blog (from now on; past links won't do this) or my website (www.richardcarrier.info). None of this costs you any more than it usually would at Amazon. They just give me a cut of their profits for turning business their way. Since I think Amazon is a superb service, I'm quite happy to recommend buying from them. And you'll get a glimpse of what I think are important readings, sometimes even essential readings, or just my favorite picks, in each category there.

5 comments:

AIGBusted said...

Hi Richard,

I have an idea: If you're looking to turn more cash, why don't you republish your 100 page chapter of "The Empty Tomb" as a small book.

I'm not sure how the copyright stuff would work, but you could attempt to get permission to republish it, couldn't you?

Then sell it on lulu. I guarantee that if you price it reasonably people will buy, especially if there's a supercheap download price like there is with "Not the Impossible Faith".

Rick's Mom said...

This Amazon list link is a fantastic idea! Some of the movies I'd like to get, I'll order them through your site. I like that it allows you to keep to your blog format - that flows well. Really Kewl!

Landon Hedrick said...

I would have thought Dennis MacDonald's books would have found their way onto your list RE early Christianity.

Marcus said...

I Noticed you put Buffy and Angel on your list of favorites... well done sir.

Richard Carrier said...

AIGBusted said... If you're looking to turn more cash, why don't you republish your 100 page chapter of "The Empty Tomb" as a small book.

I doubt they'd let me. They own all the rights. And I suspect my chapters are one of the main selling points for their book, so they would not allow me to take away their marketing asset. I also slag off Prometheus regularly (I allege they screw authors on contracts, and they have otherwise enraged me with their unprofessionalism and bullying of fellow authors), so I doubt they would even be friendly. If I knew then what I know now, I would never have published with them (or would have secured a better contract, as I have this time around with the new Loftus book).

Landon Hedrick said... I would have thought Dennis MacDonald's books would have found their way onto your list RE early Christianity.

Good point. I should add his first one, though I don't agree with his every parallel, his good parallels, and his methodology and background materials are essentials. I haven't finished his others yet to judge (though his next book will be seminal, a must-read).

Marcus said... I Noticed you put Buffy and Angel on your list of favorites... well done sir.

Hell yeah, but hey, don't forget Firefly, Whedon's greatest triumph!